Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Mind the Gap

I figured it was time to find my roots and introduce myself to her majesty. Last weekend I made the trek through 20 minutes are darkness, usually referred to as the "Chunnel". Spending a weekend in London was one of the most fulfilling experiences to date!

After two hours by train I arrived at St Pancras/King's Cross Station. It was a short trip on the tube before I reached my hostel, right next to London Bridge. I didn't realize it was London Bridge. I think I expected "Tower Bridge" to be London Bridge. London Bridge is just a cement bridge with nothing special. The one next to it, Tower Bridge is actually amazing and has is what I imagined!

Walking along the Thames past Shakespear's Globe theatre, The Tate Modern Museum, The London Eye and ending at the Westminster Abbey, and Big Ben! This was probably the best bang for your buck as far as walking goes.

There is so many famous things in London it was very difficult to try and see them all! I met my friend Nancy and her boyfriend in Leicester Square for lunch, I ended up being 35 minutes late because I got lost and couldn't find the restuarant. (It had moved and changed to a gay bar, that proved to be interesting when I started asking for directions!)

I then met up with a guy I had met in Barcelona, he was in London on his way back to Ireland so we walked around for a couple hours. I then had to leave to go and watch the Musical I had bought a ticket for.

Les Miserables was fantastic. It was my first "real" musical, and what a better place and show to see than Les Mis at the Queen's theatre in London. It did cost me 60 Pounds, ($100 Canadian) but it was totally worth it! And Nick Jonas played Marius.

I finished the night with a beer from the hostel bar and proceeded to bed as I had been up since 6 that morning.

Sunday morning started early because I wanted to see the changing of the guards. A sight worth seeing especially because the first song the band struck up was the YMCA, I expected God Save the Queen from the royal band infront of buckingham palace but apparently they prefer the Village People!

I met up with Nancy again for lunch, this time was Fish and Chips. had to get my fill of cliche british things!

Walks through Hyde Park, Trafalager Square, Piccadely Circus, The British Museum and then on the London Tower to visit the Crown jewels.

After all of that extremely touristy stuff it was time to find out what London was all about. I met two 20 somethings from Washington DC. They were staying at the same room in the hostel and they invited me to dinner. We went to St George's Pub for traditional sunday roast. Roast beef, baked potato, vegtables and yorkshire pudding. Topped off with a beer and all was good.

That night I met a guy from Burnaby at the hostel. What a small world. It never fails to amaze me the fact that I meet people accros the world from the same city!

Another very plain breakfast from the hostel in the morning and I was back to Frog land in Paris! London blew me away, I really enjoyed my weekend and would consider spending a lot more time in England!

Next weekend... Amsterdam.

"The Manny"

No comments:

Post a Comment